Want some fun facts about my back? Here goes:
- Before my surgery, I had a 62-degree curvature of the spine. After surgery that was reduced to 28 degrees.
- I now have 11 fused vertebrae (basically my entire thoracic spine), fixed in place with two metal rods.
- I came out of my surgery an inch and a half taller than I was when I went in.
- I have somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds of stainless steel in my body. I try to remind myself of that every time I'm weighed.
- In spite of all that metal, I do not set off metal detectors.
- In high school, I used to convince people I was magnetic by hiding a big magnet under my shirt and letting them stick other magnets to me.