- After Christmas we took an epic journey east. The whole family met up in Ohio New Year's weekend, which was lovely. First time in years that my father has had all his kids and grandkids together in the same place. It's a beautiful bunch. My dad has been having some health trouble (I won't go into detail, since I know he values his privacy and reads this blog). I will say, though, that it is very hard to see him sick, and I hope (and believe) he'll be well again soon.
- After Ohio, Greg headed back home, and the kids and I continued on to New York City with grand plans for a homecoming tour—complete with a side trip to New Jersey to show the kids where I grew up, went to school, etc.
- The kids and I all got strep. Plans changed. We spent a lot of time in bed and at Duane Reade.
- Traveling alone with kids is hard. Traveling alone with kids while sick is harder.
- I am thankful for my sisters, who made traveling alone with kids while sick manageable. They kept me from sinking.
- Sidamo lost our camera while we were in NYC, so I have no pictures.
- After getting back home, we were well for a few days before getting sick again.
- My birthday fell in the middle of a sick week. Sucked.
- I was feeling quite sorry for myself until a few days ago. Something switched. I'm still not entirely healthy, but I feel alive and grateful for my life again. And I have the energy to get out of bed and be nice to people. That makes all the difference.
- Greg got me the new Decemberists album for my birthday. Love.
- We got a new woodburning stove installed yesterday. Love again. Now I need to find the perfect, comfy chair to go next to it. I spent too much of my life in search of perfect, comfy chairs.
- Saffron has been ill, so our search for dog #2 is on hold. Last weekend we thought we were going to lose her. She heard me on the phone with a friend saying as much and immediately perked up, eating for the first time in 5 days. She's down to 63 pounds. (Yes, she's still a Great Dane.)
- The kids are amazing, as ever. Sidamo and I went through a rough patch right around my birthday, during which I felt like he hated me. I think we're past it, and I think my general malaise contributed greatly to it. Nora on the other hand is very communicative about her love these days. She'll lean in, look me in the eyes, and tell me, "I love you sooooo much, Mommy." In the next breath: "I love Sidamo's shoes sooooo much, Mommy." Good to keep things in perspective.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
So much to update, and yet I just can't seem to make it happen. So let's try an easy, manageable bulleted list: