Monday, September 24, 2007

So much to say

Sidamo's language is exploding lately. He understands so, so much, and he has started producing a lot of words, too. He had is first meeting with a speech therapist on Wednesday, and she's amazed by how well he's doing. She asked us to start a list of his words or word approximations, and off the top of my head I came up with more than 40. Of course, "juh" counts for "giraffe," so it's not as though these are perfectly formed words.

This morning we had a very exciting development, though: He strung two (sort of) words together. He goes to my friend Jessica's house two mornings a week, and her 5-month-old son Max comes to our house two mornings a week.

As we were getting ready this morning, I said, "Do you want to go see baby Max?"

He responded, "Yah!"

"Do you want to go to Jessica's?"

And he said, "Jeh how?" Translation: "Jessica's house?"

It was crazy! All of a sudden I had a flash-ahead to the not-so-distant future when he and I will have actual conversations as he's getting dressed, he'll be telling me things he thinks and feels and wants instead of just answering yes and no to my desperate guesses. It was like I had a quick glimpse at the fun and verbal little personality hiding inside our fun and babbling little boy.

Side note: I haven't downloaded any photos from the camera in a while, but I promise I will soon.

No comments: