Monday, June 8, 2009

Birdland Diaries, Part 2


Still only two robin's eggs this morning. When I went to check on the nest, mama bird did a fly-by and almost took out one of my eyes. From about 5 feet away, but still. She was just as protective as I promised Sidamo she'd be, though I guess his version would be that she was just trying to feed me.

The second part of our bird excitement (I know, how much can one family handle??) came yesterday when I took down our new hanging baskets to give them a good soak. Look what I found inside one of them:





A tiny, perfect, downy little nest that made me want to shrink down to sparrow size and snuggle in. Well, today, after my robin's nest disappointment, I took down the baskets for their daily water, and look what's in there now!


I wonder what we've done to become such a hospitable home for birds. Maybe it's the two barking Great Danes, or the plethora of neighborhood cats who like to hang out on our front porch. Or maybe it's the two screaming kids who know little about boundaries, or the bright flash on my camera. Whatever it is, our porch is the place to be if you're feathered, flighted, and looking to build a family.

4 comments:

Julie said...

"Feathered, flighted, and looking to build a family.." sounds like me, I'll be right over. Love the Birdland Diaries. I have a Hawk post brewing.

Christina said...

I am strangely addicted to the Birdland Diaries myself...

cathy said...

It's so beautiful... and yet be prepared for the great "circle of life" discussion we have every spring. We have multiple nests around our house and each year the babies try to leave the nest too early and fall and break their necks and leave their downy carnage all over our back patio. Lily tried in vain to nurse one back to health, but it was a losing battle. I hope yours fare better than ours.

sara-lou said...

oh so so sweet!! :-)