Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Good Old Days

I spent the day today with one of my best friends from grade school, whom I haven't seen in 12 years and probably haven't had a substantive conversation with in at least 16. She found me through classmates.com and, coincidentally, she's now married to a man who grew up in Denver. She (Sharmila), her husband (Navin), and their beautiful 9-month-old son (Suraj) are here visiting family, so we took the opportunity to catch up.

It's so interesting to reconnect with a person from childhood and realize that, despite the fact that your lives have taken completely different paths, you still know each other at a very basic and deep level. Also interesting how life's webs intersect—I never thought I'd wind up living in Denver, and now Sharmila, who surely never expected she'd end up here either, is considering moving to Denver in the next year. Even if she doesn't end up here, I love knowing that she'll visit her in-laws regularly, and we'll have more opportunities to get to know each other again.

No comments: