Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lordy, lordy, look who's 40 (weeks)

So today is the big due date. As you can see, my little girl has no more interest in punctuality than her mama.


I'm still feeling great and am not in any big rush to get her out, but I do want her to make some moves soon so I don't have to fight with my doctors about induction. I just had an appointment today (which actually was scheduled yesterday, but I somehow got confused and showed up a day late—oops!) and learned that my doctor is on vacation for the next two weeks. Seems like something you might mention to your patients, no? So I was stuck seeing someone I had seen (and disliked) before. I have no idea who will actually be working when I deliver, but chances are it will be someone I don't know. I'm so glad we have a doula we love so there's some consistency of care throughout the process.

Anyway, back to induction: Kaiser doesn't like to let people go past 41 weeks, but really there's no scientific reason to consider induction before 42 weeks. I certainly won't consent to a medical induction until/unless there's medical reason, but that doesn't mean my doctors won't pressure me to do it. So to avoid that uncomfortable situation, I'm really hoping this little girl decides she's ready to meet the world sooner rather than later. Join me in sending some evacuation vibes her way, would you?

13 comments:

Alicia said...

Come on out, little girl!! The view from the outside is so much better! :) And being induced is NO fun. :/

You are still looking SO darn good! I was not looking nearly that good at 40 weeks (ok, or 30 weeks, for that matter. :)

Cindy said...

Out, baby girl, out!!
I really hope that you can avoid being induced.
Good Luck!! You look great!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! My doctor and I also had the induction argument. Luckily Caleb decided to come before we came to blows.

Nurses (and doulas) end up spending way more time with you than your doctor in the hospital.

Mama Papaya said...

Come out, come out whoever you are. We all want to meet you sweet girl. And Mama needs a glass of wine already!

Mark and Sarah said...

Sending exiting vibes...hopefully she's just a *wee* bit late...like our Torin (but hopefully not as big!). I didn't have any labor signs until the contractions started, so you never know! Thanks for keeping us posted on your blog. You look beautiful, by the way. Oh, and tsk tsk on your Dr!!

Anonymous said...

Come on down, baby bell! You're the next contestant on...well, you know the rest. I'm sure the little one will come soon - hang in there. Mags was four days late, so we're wishing for the 15th for you! Sheila

Jamie Barkley said...

NO! Stay in! June 21st is an EXCELLENT birthday! Trust me on that one. ;) Actually, I was born a little early from what my mom says. Her doctor went on vacation around the time they thought she was due. But her doc decided to induce all the women who were due while he was going to be out. Mom says I probably should have stayed in there a wee bit longer. :)

lifedance said...

Hi Deirdre! You look great!! My sister just had her baby (you can check out the cutie on my blog) and I can't wait to meet Sidamo's little sister. Dayn and I will plan to bring you all dinner in the next month. Talk to you soon! Michelle

cathy said...

I am so eager to meet your new girl!!! Can hardly wait for your big news.

whatever_heather said...

Monday's my birthday! I called that one already, but hey...anytime would be great. I am so excited for you! You look amazing as usual. Eat something SPICY!...and I have heard that you know, OTHER spicy things may help as well. Ahem.
Good luck! I will be checking your blog 36 times a day!

Sugar Momma said...

Darn! I was so hoping to see a beautiful newborn baby girl picture.

If it's any consolation, when it came time to deliver Titan I got the one doctor in my practice that I strongly disliked. Somehow he turned out to be excellent, though!

Hang in there!

whatever_heather said...

Just checking in (again) this morning! Hope all is well! :)

Maia said...

It's a good thing you're comfortable! Phew. Can't wait to meet her!