Friday, June 20, 2008

So you're the one who's been kicking me

Well, the little lady finally decided to reveal herself after 41 weeks and 2 days of intrauterine karate practice. Nora Catherine was born this morning at 7:44, weighing 7 lb. 11 oz. and measuring 20.5 inches. We did end up inducing Wednesday night, but it really went as smoothly as we could have hoped. I was worried that Pitocin would inevitably result in an epidural and eventually a C-section, but the doctors and nurses were wonderful and really respected our wishes to keep the birth as natural as possible. So besides the fact that the labor was long and tiring and toward the end I lost all my grace and started dropping F-bombs like a drunken soldier, it was really as peaceful and pleasant as possible.

Nora is just as sweet as can be and seems to be adjusting well to life outside the womb. She'll meet her big brother for the first time this evening, and then she'll for sure be happy to be part of the family.

Here are some pictures of our funny little girl. We can't figure out who she looks like, but I'd say the conehead is definitely from Greg's side.

Just born.

A minute or two old. Sorry for all the skin, but, well, I had just given birth and forgot about modesty for a spell.

Daddy and his little girl.

A few hours later, all cleaned up.

Mama got cleaned up too.

18 comments:

Maia said...

That completely reduced me to tears. I'm so happy for you guys.

Julie said...

At last! Nooooooraaaaaaaa! She's beautiful! Congratulations! I have been on the edge of my seat. You guys all look so happy. Sidamo is a big brother! I can't stop using exclamation marks!!

Sugar Momma said...

yay!yay!yay!

lisa said...

Oohhhh-she's so beautiful!!! We can't wait to meet her!
And Nora was one of the names we considered, after my g-grandmother, Honora Moylan.
S looked at the pictures with me and kept touching Nora's face and saying baby.
You will be getting a delivery of solstice leftovers on Sunday ; ) ~lmc

Anonymous said...

Oh baby NORA! She is beautiful! I'm so happy for you all. Congrats on the smooth birth and welcome, welcome little Nora! xoxoox, The Wogens

cathy said...

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
You rock, Deirdre. Seriously.

whatever_heather said...

Yaaaaaay!!!! I am so excited I can't stop grinning. I ran to my hubby and yelled "She's here! She's here!". :) Nora is absolutely beautiful and YOU miss thing, look amazing even moments after pushing her out! Haha. F-Bombs are definitely in my birth plan. Greg looks so happy, too. I'm all emotional! Enjoy getting to know each other and get some rest and for God's sake, keep blogging!
XOXO.

Alicia said...

Congratulations!!!! She is absolutely gorgeous - and I LOVE her name! You look amazing, Momma!!

Welcome to the world, sweet little miss!!

Carrie said...

Congratulations!! She's adorable! I'm glad things went smoothly and no w interventions were needed!

I had to laugh about the F bomb comment... I'm still notorious with our midwifery practice for my...creative expletives during my 2nd child's birth. I distinctively remember Son of a Biscuit for example. *Sigh*

Mama Papaya said...

Welcome to the world baby girl!

Good #$&*@!~ work Mama.

go fish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
go fish said...

LOVE the name Nora and she's BEAUTIFUL! Deirdre -- you look AMAZING!!! :) Nora doesn't have Daddy wrapped or anything, does she?! Do you see the smile on his face? :)

A big kiss to big brother Sidamo!

Congrats! So incredibly happy for you all!

Mark and Sarah said...

Oh, what a beauty!!! Hooray, Deirdre...you DID IT! So proud of you and your al natural birth...with pitocin!?! hope to hear more! Relish in these first few days, they are so precious. Love her name too!

Cindy said...

YEAH!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
She is just beautiful! I am so thrilled that you had a good delivery...f-bombs and all

Arielle said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Found your blog! What a fun read! Congratulations! Okay, not exactly a home birth, but who cares, right!?! Susie in Eldo

Liza said...

I've said it already but I'm so so thrilled and excited for you guys! Although I think Matt thinks you could've held out one more day so that Nora would have come on his and Dennis's shared birthday. Oh, well. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, a lovely complement to her beautiful big brother. And Deirdre, you look gorgeous--like Nora popped out of you and you're back to pre-pregnancy. Amazing. Soooo much love to all of you guys and miss you a ton!

lifedance said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! She is beautiful. Congratulations to you, Greg, Sidamo, and Nora's fuzzy four-legged siblings. Thanks so much for blogging ~ it's great to feel a part of your world!!